Smith School of Business at Queen’s University is committed to cultivating a vibrant, diverse and inclusive academic and work environment rooted in a culture of mutual respect and equity such that all members of our community feel safe, possess a strong sense of belonging and are empowered to thrive. We recognize that access, equity and inclusion are vital to our school's future and to developing global citizens with the broad knowledge, skills, and perspectives needed to contribute meaningfully to society as well as advancements in business. To aid in achieving our EDII goals, we must expand our efforts and accelerate the implementation of meaningful EDII-related changes.
In recognition of this, Smith has established an Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Indigenization (EDII) Fund that will provide an opportunity for our community to support Smith’s commitment to prioritizing initiatives leading to impactful and meaningful change within our school, such as:
• the Blue Sky Initiative, which provides funding for innovative projects put forth by Smith students, faculty and staff. Examples of recently approved proposals range from a speaker series podcast and film screening to equity and diversity education resources and teaching materials.
• updating the physical characteristics of Goodes Hall and SmithToronto with artwork, land acknowledgments, signage, photos of under-represented business leaders, etc., to ensure a safe, inclusive, and welcoming environment for all
• enabling Smith to provide targeted outreach recruitment opportunities and programming -- such as high school outreach programs and an Indigenous summer camp -- that encourage students identifying as members of an equity-seeking group to apply to study business
• contributing to funding reserved to support student advising and counselling
• supplementing internship opportunities for students who are members of equity-seeking groups
• providing memberships for students, staff, and faculty with the Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion to engage in training and educational opportunities that will promote a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
* Please note, the EDII fund will not be used as a source for awards and scholarships that benefit individual students.
There is much work ahead; our capacity and success in effecting sustainable change is enhanced when we come together as a community and share the responsibility to make a difference. We are grateful for our Smith community and your desire to help.