Funding will be used to launch and develop governance, policies, and programming that promotes equity, diversity, inclusion and indigenization (EDII) in specific areas of the Smith Engineering require examination from an EDII lens — students, curriculum, research, professional development, and culture.
The guiding principles for EDII programming in Smith Engineering will be:
- Unreservedly celebrate the differences of our members.
- Champion women, members of visible minorities, persons with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, and LGBT peoples.
- Ensure that our actions are built on the basis of value for each member of our community.
- Create a culture of connection that shows support and mutual respect for all.
- Guarantee there is a shared accountability among staff, faculty and students to enact actual positive change.
- Education and knowledge sharing are the foundation of our ability to make lasting impacts in our community